Friday, June 26, 2009

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- 911 call from Jackson home: He's not breathing

The person at Michael Jackson's home who called 911 Thursday told the operator the singer wasn't breathing and wasn't conscious, according to a rec"I need an ambulance," the person told the 911 operator.

Police spoke with Jackson's doctor on Thursday but have been unable to reach him Friday for further questioning, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

A car the doctor was using was towed from Jackson's home Thursday and impounded, authorities said.

The car may contain "medications pertinent to the investigation" into Jackson's death, said detective Agustin Villanueva of the Los Angeles Police Department.ording of phone call released Friday.

Police did not release the doctor's name.

Public records show the car is registered to a Texas woman who is an associate of a cardiologist. The cardiologist is licensed in California and Texas and also has an office in Las Vegas, Nevada.
CNN's calls to the doctor's office were not immediately returned.
Authorities said Friday the cause of Michael Jackson's death will not be determined officially for weeks.

The superstar's sudden death Thursday at age 50 left a family devastated, an industry stunned and legions of fans lost. It also left a glaring question: What happened?

"The likelihood is very slim that we will have any results to release today because of the extensive level of the tests that we're going to be performing," said Ed Winter, assistant chief of the Los Angeles coroners office.

The results of toxicology tests are expected in six to eight weeks, he said, adding that the cause of death will be determined when all results come in.
Initial autopsy results could show whether Jackson had an underlying heart condition, medical experts saye.

There are questions over whether Jackson's death may have involved medication.
Brian Oxman, a former attorney for the Jackson family who was with the family in the hospital emergency room on Thursday, told CNN he had been concerned about medications the pop star was taking.

"I talked to this family about it, I warned them. I said that Michael is overmedicating and that I did not want to see this kind of a case develop," Oxman told CNN's "American Morning" on Friday.

He referred to Anna Nicole Smith, the former model and reality TV show star who died of an overdose in 2007.

I said, 'If that's what's going to happen to Michael, it's all going to break our hearts.' And my worst fears are here."

Oxman emphasized that he does not know what killed Jackson, and was not making accusations against any individual.

CNN is seeking response from the family.

Jackson was in apparent cardiac arrest when paramedics rushed him Thursday from his home to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where a team of physicians tried to resuscitate him for more than an hour, according to Jackson's brother Jermaine. He said the music idol was pronounced dead at 2:26 p.m.

The night before he had complained of not feeling well, brother Marlon Jackson said.

He told CNN on Thursday about his conversation with Jackson's manager Frank Dileo. On Wednesday night, Jackson said he was not feeling well, so his doctor went to see him. "Frank said, 'Marlon, from last night to this morning, I don't know what happened.' When they got to him this morning, he wasn't breathing."

The troubled icon had been preparing for a comeback tour, aimed at extending his legendary career and helping to pay off hundreds of millions of dollars in debt.
Michael Jackson began his professional work at age 5, singing with his brothers before shooting to superstardom as a solo artist. He had numerous No. 1 hits, the best known being "Thriller."

"Thriller" was the best-selling album of all time, at an estimated 50 million copies worldwide.
After dominating the popular music scene for years, Jackson became reclusive and mired in scandals that included child molestation charges. He was acquitted after a highly publicized trial in Santa Maria, California, in March 2006.


Don't Miss

In Depth: Michael Jackson
'King of Pop' dead at 50

Gallery: Jackson's life in pictures

Videos: A look at his life

Last year, Jackson announced a comeback tour that was to start in July. When some of the shows were postponed till next year, rumors spread that the entertainer was weak and suffering from skin cancer.

But Marlon Jackson said he last saw his younger brother at a May 14 family gathering and he "looked great."

"He was looking well. He was getting ready to go into rehearsals for his tour. I don't know what happened," Marlon Jackson said.

The most famous of Michael Jackson's eight siblings, Janet, issued a statement through her manager.

"Janet Jackson is grief-stricken and devastated at the sudden loss of her brother," said Kenneth Crear. "She is ... flying immediately to California to be with her family."

A large crowd gathered outside the hospital, while in New York a huge crowd gathered outside the Apollo Theater.

Around the world, fans reacted with sadness. iReport.com: Share your Michael Jackson memories

Some, including actress Elizabeth Taylor and musician Stevie Wonder, were too distraught to issue statements.

Producer Quincy Jones, who helped Jackson craft his hit albums "Off the Wall" and "Thriller," said, "I am absolutely devastated at this tragic and unexpected news.

"For Michael to be taken away from us so suddenly at such a young age, I just don't have the words," Jones added in a statement.

Jackson's music continues to be heard throughout the world "because he had it all -- talent, grace, professionalism and dedication," Jones said. He called Jackson a consummate entertainer, whose legacy will be felt around the world.

"I've lost my little brother today and part of my soul has gone with him," Jones said.
Berry Gordy, producer and founder of Motown Records, said Jackson's death was "like a bad dream."

"As a kid, Michael was always beyond his years. He was an innovator. He was a genius at what he did," Gordy said. "He had a knowingness about him. At 9 years old, when I first started working with him, he seemed to me like he had been here before. He was just so knowledgeable about life."

Jackson's former wife, Lisa Marie Presley, said she was "shocked and saddened" by his death.

"My heart goes out to his children and his family," she said.
Jackson is survived by his three children, Prince Michael I, Paris and Prince Michael II.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Baitullah is US agent, says Qari Zain


DERA ISMAIL KHAN: The militant commander, Qari Zainud Din, who was killed by his own fellow militant tribesmen, announced to launch efforts against Baitullah Mehsud and gain the chieftaincy of Mehsud tribes, Geo News reported Tuesday.Talking to Geo News a few days ago, slain Zainud Din held Baitullah Mehsud as an American agent, adding suicide attacks are haram (impermissible).Qari Zainud Din contacted various tribal veterans in different areas to ascend as chief of the Mehsud tribes.

6 killed in US drone attack in South Waziristan


PESHAWAR: Six people were killed and several others hurt in a US drone missile attack in South Waziristan on Tuesday. According to sources, US drones fired three missiles at a house in a village of tehsil Ladha, a stronghold of Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud. Six people were killed and several others injured in the attack. Security operation is underway in the area against militants.

Monday, June 22, 2009

One for the Books: Woman Player Is Honored by England's Cricketing Bible

In 2009, for the first time, one of the chosen Five Cricketers of the Year is a woman Claire Taylor of the English team.

In India, Cricket Loses to Politics on Security

With the Indian Premier League’s tournament schedule overlapping with national elections, the government could not guarantee adequate security for the games.

20 Are Detained After Cricket Attack

By JANE PERLEZ and WAQAR GILLANI; JANE PERLEZ REPORTED FROM ISLAMABAD, and WAQAR GILLANI FROM LAHORE, PAKISTAN.
A police official gave no details of the identities of those being held in the attack on the Sri Lankan team.

Twenty20 World Cup Filled With Intriguing Unknowns

The second World Twenty20 cricket tournament, which starts when England play the Netherlands at Lord’s cricket ground in London on Friday, is filled with tantalizing questions.

Dutch Shock England in Cricket’s World Twenty20 Tournament

The Netherlands, 500-1 to win the 12-team tournament, defeated England by four wickets from the last ball of the opening match at London’s Lord’s ground.

In World Twenty20 Cup, Surprises Big and Small

The opening four matches at the World Twenty20 Cup supplied one big shock and came close to supplying another, while a third ended with a result not many would have predicted.

Sri Lanka Eliminates Australia in World Twenty20 Cricket

The Australians, who have won the last three World Cups played on a 50-overs per side basis failed to come to terms with cricket’s newest, shortest format.

Twenty20 Narrows to the Super 8

Pakistan completed the lineup for the Super Eight stage of the World Twenty20 when it beat the giant-killing Netherlands at Lord’s ground here Tuesday.

The Host-Country Curse Bears Down on England

After a stunning defeat by South Africa, England must now beat India at Lord’s in London on Sunday to have any realistic chance of progressing to the semifinals of the World Twenty20.

Host England Falls to the Brink in World Twenty20 Cricket

England was outplayed by a formidable South African team that is now the favorite with most British bookmakers. England must now beat India to have any chance of progressing.

At Mid-Term, Twenty20’s Barometer Gets Clearer

World championships can change at a moment’s notice. In cricket -- at the moment -- he strongest teams seem to be South Africa and Sri Lanka.

Afridi Lifts Pakistan to World Cup Triumph

Shahid Afridi struck an unbeaten 54 to take Pakistan to an eight-wicket victory over Sri Lanka in the Twenty20 World Cup final on Sunday.

For Pakistan, Attack Exposes Security Flaws

By JANE PERLEZ; REPORTING WAS CONTRIBUTED BY WAQAR GILLANI FROM LAHORE, SOMINI SENGUPTA FROM NEW DELHI, ALAN COWELL FROM PARIS, and SHARON OTTERMAN FROM NEW YORK.
A coordinated, commando-style ambush on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan on Tuesday revealed embarrassing security gaps in an increasingly unstable country

20 Are Detained After Cricket Attack

By JANE PERLEZ and WAQAR GILLANI; JANE PERLEZ REPORTED FROM ISLAMABAD, and WAQAR GILLANI FROM LAHORE, PAKISTAN.
A police official gave no details of the identities of those being held in the attack on the Sri Lankan team.

Official Says Suspects Are Arrested in Cricket Attack

By JANE PERLEZ and SHARON OTTERMAN; JANE PERLEZ REPORTED FROM ISLAMABAD, and SHARON OTTERMAN FROM NEW YORK. WAQAR GILLANI CONTRIBUTED FROM LAHORE, PAKISTAN.
The governor of Punjab did not say whether any of the gunmen were among those arrested, but said a full report would be presented Friday.

Inquiry Planned for Cricket Attack

After making a number of arrests, the police said a full report on the attack, which killed six officers and a driver, would be presented Friday, but no new details were revealed.

Round Of 8 Is Set for World Twenty20 Cricket

Pakistan completed the lineup for the Super Eight stage of the World Twenty20 cricket competion by defeating the Netherlands at Lord’s ground in London on Tuesday.

Pakistan Can Bring The Noise to Final Four

Of the four teams left in the World Twenty20 cricket tournament, which starts its semifinals in England on Thursday, Pakistan represents both continuity and passion.

Pakistan Stuns South Africa To Reach Final

Pakistan qualified for the World Twenty20 final, beating the previously flawless South Africa by seven runs.

Pakistan's Victory Described As A Gift to a Nation

The Pakistan captain, Younis Khan, retired from the format after leading his country over Sri Lanka for one of its greatest cricket victories.